A 9-Month-Old Girl from Iran with Extensive Erythematous Plaques Due to Trichophyton simii, a Zoophilic Dermatophyte.
The incidence of dermatophytosis due to Trichophyton simii is generally considered to be limited to endemic areas, particularly one area of India. However, the high similarity between the morphological features of atypical T. simii isolates and those of other dermatophytes such as Trichophyton interdigitale and Arthroderma benhamiae may lead to misidentification of the cause of dermatophytosis in many instances. We investigated a rare case of tinea corporis in a 9-month-old female with extensive erythematous lesions. Morphological features of the recovered isolate from the culture resulted in the identification of Trichophyton interdigitale. For accurate identification, the internal transcribed spacer regions (ITS1 and ITS2) of the ribosomal DNA (rDNA) gene were sequenced and the isolate was ultimately identified as T. simii. In conclusion, T. simii, which has been formerly known to be restricted to specific endemic regions, appears to be not infrequent in non-endemic areas but instead simply less well-known and consequently underestimated. To determine its actual prevalence of infection, the application of DNA-based molecular methodologies is required.
Ansari S1, Hedayati MT2, Nouripour-Sisakht S3, Rezaei-Matehkolaei A4,5, Jannesar R6, Mohammadi H3, Fazli Y3, Ilkit M7, Seyedmousavi S1,8,9.
- 1Invasive Fungi Research Center (IFRC)/Department of Medical Mycology and Parasitology, School of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Km 18 Khazarabad Road, P.O. Box 48175-1665, Sari, Iran.
- 2Invasive Fungi Research Center (IFRC)/Department of Medical Mycology and Parasitology, School of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Km 18 Khazarabad Road, P.O. Box 48175-1665, Sari, Iran. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3Department of Medical Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, Yasuj, Iran.
- 4Department of Medical Mycology, School of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
- 5Infectious and Tropical Diseases Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
- 6Department of Medical Pathology, School of Medicine, Yasuj University of Medical Sciences, Yasuj, Iran.
- 7Division of Mycology, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Çukurova, Adana, Turkey.
- 8Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- 9Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud UMC, Nijmegen, The Netherlands.